Heat Advisory: Weather Could Feel Like 105 Degrees
Heat index forecast calls for Wednesday's weather to feel between 100 and 105 degrees.
Wednesday is a good day to go to the movies, a museum, the bowling alley, the library or any other place you can think of inside.
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for Wednesday from noon to 8 p.m. Temperatures will be between the middle to upper 90s but the heat index will make it feel like anywhere between 100 or 105.
"A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected," said an NWS alert. "The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun and check on relatives and neighbors."
If you have to be outside, try to be out in the early morning or in the evening to avoid heat stroke.
Prince William County is accepting applications for cooling assistance now through Aug. 15. Learn more here.
Do you know the signs of heat exhaustion?
- Complaints of Light Headedness/Dizziness
- Altered Mental Status/ “Clouded Judgment”
- Rapid Pulse
- Extreme or limited amounts of sweating
NWS offers the following tips for staying cool:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Stay out of the sun
- Stay in an air-conditioned room
- Reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or late evening
- Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible
- If you must work outdoors, schedule frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned areas.
Where to Stay Cool in Town