One person was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out in the bedroom of a home in the Yorkshire area of Prince William County.
It happened Sunday at 3 p.m. at a home on the 7800 block of Howard Street just outside of Manassas Park, Prince William Fire and Rescue reports show.
Firefighters discovered a fire in a bedroom and quickly extinguished and contained the fire to the area.
One person inside the home was transported to a local hospital for minor injuries and later released, fire department staff said.
The fire started because of a electrical issue and caused about $5,000 in damages.
There were smoke detectors in the home, but they weren't working, firefighters said. The PWC Fire and Rescue Department offers these smoke alarm tips:
- Place a smoke alarm on every level of your home including the basement and inside and outside sleeping areas.
- Check smoke alarms monthly by pushing the test button. If you cannot reach the button easily, use a broom handle.
- Change the batteries in your alarms at least once a year or each time you change your clock. (spring forward, fall back).
- Don't remove the batteries from your smoke alarms to put in other appliances.